Sunday, April 22, 2012

On Purpose Acts Of Kindness


A few years ago, there was a movie made that was called Evan Almighty. This movie was a funny take-off from the Biblical story of Noah and the ark and actually reinforced the idea of always obeying God. The events of the story took place in Washington, D.C. and dealt with the life of a new congressman named Evan. He was elected and then sent there to represent the people from his state. The move, the family adjustments, and the excitement of being elected to office was a big change to his life, but he was coping with it all.... that is, until "God" showed up.

God (whose part was played by Morgan Freeman) came to Evan and told him to build an ark just like Noah did. Through a series of very funny and "God" controlled events, the ark eventually gets built and winds up providing the means of safety for the area people who experience a flood from a broken dam. God's plans proved to be the best for everyone in order to survive the danger.

At one point in the movie, God takes Evan aside and writes the letters A R K on the ground. Then, during their conversation, He illustrates that the letters stand for Acts of Random Kindness.  The point was made, and it was a good ending to an enjoyable family movie.

Normally, we use the phrase arraigned a little differently than the movie did. We will say random acts of kindness when talking about the concept of spontaneously doing good for others.

This is a really good idea to follow as we live our lives daily. Can you imagine? People just randomly doing kind things for others......this would radically change the face of Christianity before the world!

As I thought about this concept, it suddenly dawned on me that in doing acts of kindness toward others, my attitude would be a vital factor in the whole process.

Let me explain.

One of the biggest pet peeves that I have is when people leave shopping carts out in a store parking lot. They usually block all sorts of paths and parking places and wind up making me so frustrated and angry! Then one day I decided to do something about it. From then on, when I would go shopping, I parked my car and would....very much on purpose.... find a buggy (or sometimes two) in the parking lot and push them into the store as I walked. I felt a certain self-righteousness as I did it, and honestly, thought that I was acting much better than those people who were so inconsiderate to others (meaning me) by leaving their carts scattered everywhere.

What I was doing may have been helping others, but my attitude was one of self-righteousness and anger. My attitude would have cleared a whole room full of skunks.........

The random act of kindness that I attempted was anything but.......

Later on, (as God was continuing His work within me) I began to realize that what I was doing by moving the shopping carts really could be a blessing to someone who would come that way later. I saw that the Lord could use me to bless someone who may never know that I did anything at all to help them today.

I kind of liked that.....

My attitude changed as I talked to the Lord about it, and the parking lot changed from being a source of frustration to a serious place of opportunity to show kindness.
I even began picking up nails or screws that I would see on the parking lot thinking of the lady with a van full of kids who might now avoid having a flat tire. I could envision someone in a great hurry on important business not being delayed, or maybe a little old lady not having to face the fear and trouble of a flat.
I began to find joy when the random act of kindness began to be a ministry within me. God was using me to bless others who I probably would never meet and who would never know about it!
We need to remember this when doing our acts of kindness:
Attitude matters.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now let me tell you about Tammy and Becky.

On this particular morning, after leaving the house, I was trying to determine where I might stop for some quick breakfast, and while I was at it, spend a few minutes writing this blog. After considering my choices, I decided to stop at a Chick-fil-A close to my house.

Walking up to the counter, I scanned the menu and ordered one of my favorite breakfast sandwiches. As the cashier (whose name was Becky) rang up my order, I reached for my wallet and discovered that I had not picked it up before leaving home.

This was one of those awkward, embarrassing moments that everyone experiences at some time or other.

Red faced, I began to speak to Becky as she was trying to fill my order and explain my situation to her. She reacted very kindly and said to me, "Don't worry about it. I will give you the ticket, and you can drop by later today to pay it." If you have ever found yourself in a similar situation, you can imagine not only my great appreciation for how Becky brought ease to the situation, but also for the fact that she trusted me to return.

Then, it was time for Tammy to come into this picture.

I'm not sure how long she had been observing my awkward situation, but the Lord had presented her with an opportunity to display kindness to someone she had never met. She, on purpose, stepped forward and generously said, "I have a solution for this, I would like to pay for his breakfast."

I was blown away and blessed by the kind act of this lady!

I tried, but there were not enough words to express my gratefulness to her.

As I sat eating my meal, working on my blog, and contemplating all of this, I began to understand that the events of my life this morning all were orchestrated by the Lord to give this opportunity to Tammy so that she could show a beautiful act of kindness to someone.

Just think of all the events that had to come about in perfect order:
-- the time that I got up this morning
-- the time that I left home
-- the forgetting of my wallet
-- showing up at that Chick-fil-A the time of the morning I did
(I had several choices of where I could have gone for breakfast!)
-- also, the events in Tammy's life were coordinated so that she would be standing at the counter the same time I was during my awkward situation.

I gathered some insight from this....

Not only does the Lord want us to show kindness to others, but He, on purpose, provides us with opportunities to do so all the time. He orders the daily events of our lives to bring us into places and situations that give us the privilege to represent Him by our kind actions. When we are living in "alert mode", it is easier to see the opportunities provided for us so that we may allow those kind acts to flow from us into the lives of others.

Tammy and Becky were alert today, and God used them to do something kind to someone in need.

-------------------------------------------------------

Another dimension of this concept of doing kind acts was opened to me as I talked with my wife the other day.

While she had been out shopping, the Lord had used her to do a random act of kindness to someone. Afterwards, she shared with me the event and expressed that the Lord had spoken to her heart about it. The thought that the Lord gave her was this..... Why do random acts of kindness have to be so random? For a believer, shouldn't these acts just be a normal way of life for us?

Absolutely beautiful!!!!   (the thought and my wife, of course.)

I love what she said!
Christians being kind as a way of life!!

This made me think:

Way too much of my life is spent being all about me.

v     My thoughts
v     My goals
v     My plans
v     My job
v     My family
v     My education
v     My church
v     My ministry
v     My bills
v     My car
v     My vacation
v     My stuff
v     My needs
v     My wants
v     Bla...bla...bla...

If I wrote a diary of all the events in my life for one day, what percent of it would be encompassed with the above ideas?

Only the brave should try it....we may not like what we would find.....

-----------------------------------

Jesus organized His life around others and His acts of kindness were not random but on purpose. Should not our lives shoot for the same goal?

The Scripture expresses it so well to us all:

          Matthew 7:12 NLT
          12  "Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is
           taught in the law and the prophets.

          Colossians 3:12 NLT
          12  Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with
          tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

          Ephesians 4:31-32 NLT
          31  Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil  
         behavior.
          32  Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God
          through Christ has forgiven you.

Our obedience to these simple statements would revolutionize the church within and be a catalyst that the Holy Spirit could use to revolutionize the world also. What a wonderful idea.

------Just imagine..... all Christians doing kind things to others all the time......wow!-------

The early church had an awesome testimony by the things that they were doing for others, and many came to Christ because of it.

          Acts 2:43-47 NLT
          43  A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous
          signs and wonders.
          44  And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had.
          45  They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need.
          46  They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and
          shared their meals with great joy and generosity--
          47  all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the 
          Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.


Performing acts of kindness is a wonderful personal ministry that the Lord gives to each of us, and honestly, it's not hard to be kind if we really want to be. We can start with showing kindness to our spouses, children, and friends. It will then begin to flow out to others.......

 We just need to be alert to the Holy Spirit's leadership and be ready to serve the Lord as He places the opportunities in front of us.

Check this out:
          Matthew 25:35-40 NLT
          35  For I was hungry, and you fed Me. I was thirsty, and you gave Me a drink. I was a 
          stranger, and you invited Me into your home.
          36  I was naked, and you gave Me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for Me. I was in prison,
          and you visited Me.'
          37  "Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see You hungry and feed 
          You? Or thirsty and give You something to drink?
          38  Or a stranger and show You hospitality? Or naked and give You clothing?
          39  When did we ever see You sick or in prison and visit You?'
          40  "And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of
           these My brothers and sisters, you were doing it to Me!'


How's your kindness ministry going?

Humbly Submitted,
Dan

0 comments:

Post a Comment